As I work my tail off to get ready for the Christmas season, I find myself often thinking about the things I hope to do differently next year. So right now I’m setting my goals for 2012.
- Pace Myself! If I got more done in the early part of the year, I wouldn’t be pushing myself to finish 9 hats everyday now!
- Think Ahead! Especially when it comes to patterns. A couple of weeks ago I decided that this year I HAD to write a Santa Hat pattern. It had been in my head for months, and I decided that I needed to write it and get it in my shop before November got underway. Notice I said that this hat had been in my head for months. But I didn’t do anything about it until October 20th. Genius. Thanks to my wonderful group of testers, and the wonderful Camilla Olsen at Cioco Photography I was able to get it completed and posted less than 2 weeks later, but it would have been a lot less stress if I would have done it earlier!
- Relax! This one is actually going into affect this year! Last year I was filling orders until Christmas Ever. This year, NOT going to happen! I am going to enjoy my Christmas. I am going to buy a tree with my husband, make an early Christmas dinner with friends, and watch lots of Christmas movies. I’m going to enjoy Christmas this year!
- Take Care of Myself! Lately I’ve found that I don’t exercise as much as I did a couple of weeks ago. Some of that has to do with the change of weather. I can’t hike nearly as much, and sometimes it’s just too cold at night to take a really long walk. Next year I need to find an activity that I can do year round, and that I enjoy enough to stick to!
- Don’t Over-Commit! I actually had most of these thoughts last year, and to be honest, I did a much better job and getting more hats made earlier, but I blew that by committing to more and more shows until I ended up more stressed this year than I was this time last year! I just need to keep it going and not commit to taking orders I know it will take a miracle to fill!
So those are my 5 goals for the coming Christmas season, and for next year. Anyone else have to set crazy rules for themselves in order to keep sane!?